The LGBT Community – A Potent Constituency Among Cannabis Consumers
- According to the Movement Advancement Project (MAP), 4.3% of adults in Colorado identify as LGBT, yet the same demographic represents 8% of the state’s past-month cannabis users.
- That rate of engagement suggests the LGBT community as a significant if largely untapped business opportunity to develop products and brands catering specifically to the demographic.
- The LGBT community at large both supports cannabis legalization and consumes cannabis at significantly higher rates than heterosexuals.
- Both LGBT advocacy and cannabis legalization have carved popular trajectories of social assimilation over the past 20 years.
- LGBT advocacy and cannabis legalization represent two of the fastest evolving public opinion issues in contemporary American society.
- As a traditional hotbed for the American LGBT movement, activation of the adult use market in San Francisco may present a powerful testing ground for brands targeting the LGBT community.
- Continued exposure of LGBT advocacy may strengthen the economic impact of the community, increasing its influence among trendsetters in the fast-evolving cannabis industry.